According to the World Health Organization (WHO), up to 50% of the world’s buildings are affected by indoor dampness.
Why should you care? Because where there’s indoor dampness, mold is sure to follow.
In addition to its unpleasant smell and appearance, mold can also wreak havoc on your health.
Wondering how to tell if there’s a “fungus among us?” Here are 5 sure signs of mold in your home.
1. Allergic Reactions
Do you have allergies that seem worse when you’re at home? Do you experience allergies only at home?
If so, mold is a likely culprit. Sneezing, sinus congestion, and sore or itchy eyes are all common reactions to mold.
True, there are plenty of other allergens that can cause these symptoms. But if your symptoms improve the moment you step outside, it’s time to take a closer look at what’s inside your house.
2. Water Leaks or Condensation
Did you recently (or not so recently) have water damage? Are there visible signs of leaks or condensation in your bathroom or kitchen?
Look for discoloration on the ceiling, walls, or floors. Surface abnormalities like bubbling, bulging, or peeling can also signal a hidden water problem.
Mold thrives in moist environments. If you’ve got water lurking behind the surfaces of your home, mold is likely present.
3. Visible Mold Growth
This one may seem obvious, but you may not always notice a small patch of mold growth.
Think that smudge on the wall is just a little dirt or soot? Think again.
Molds can appear in a variety of colors and shapes. From black spots to white threads to various shades of gray, green, and blue, any discoloration could signal a mold problem.
4. Moldy Smell
Mold has a distinctly musty, unpleasant smell.
Just because you don’t see any visible mold doesn’t mean it’s not there. If you detect a strange smell in any part of your house, get a mold specialist to check it out.
You don’t have to wait until it becomes a bigger problem!
5. Strange Neurological Symptoms
For some people, mold can cause more than just a mild allergic reaction.
Some toxic molds release poisonous mycotoxins. These can cause a host of physical and mental problems for you or your family.
Headaches, dizziness, memory loss, and shortened attention spans are all possible triggers caused by mold.
If you’re experiencing any strange symptoms like the ones listed here, don’t ignore them. Finding a trusted company to inspect your home for mold is a vital step to improving your health.
Signs of Mold in Your Home: Now You Know
If you’re experiencing any of these signs of mold in your home, don’t delay. The integrity of your house–and your health–are at stake.
Contact a mold removal specialist to inspect your home and help you decide how to handle the problem. The sooner you act, the sooner you can breathe clean air again!
Did you find this article useful? Check out our latest health-related posts for more advice on keeping you and your family healthy and happy.