When it comes to lighting up your kitchen, you may already have ideas in your head. Perhaps you’re thinking of introducing layers of lighting in the space to make sure that you get appropriate lighting for tasks such as preparing food, as well as other tasks such as eating and even relaxing. The kitchen is a central space in most homes; as such, you need to give ample thought on how to light it right. There’s task lighting to consider, and you also have to think about accent lighting and decorative lighting if you want the space to be pleasant and look great. But if you want to make the kitchen more personalised with the lighting you choose, here’s a list of top tips and ideas for lighting up your kitchen.
- Think outside the box. Many homes today have open floor plans, and if you have one, then your lighting for your kitchen should fit this as well. When choosing kitchen fixtures, think about how it would relate to the other areas which are seen from your kitchen. Mind you, it doesn’t have to be a complete match, but if you have fixtures in bronze in other areas, for example, then it would be great to have your kitchen lighting fixtures in bronze as well.
- Whilst pendants over a kitchen island are often a brilliant option, you can go one step further and choose two big pendants over a string or row of pendants, or even a single pendant light over your kitchen island, as recommended by popular lighting fixture suppliers like Diiiz.com.
- Consider translucent. Instead of opting for an opaque fixture, why not go the translucent route? Fixtures with a lens placed at the bottom can hide the light bulbs set underneath and still provide you with a good glow.
- Oval-shaped fixtures for the kitchen are a classic, but you can go beyond classic and traditional shapes with rectangular-shaped fixtures and even fixtures with a drum shape, which can make your kitchen look more interesting and unique.
- Artwork for your kitchen is also an excellent idea, especially since more people are spending time in the kitchen than ever. To add more personality to your kitchen’s look, place artwork on the walls and illuminate this with recessed fixtures that are adjustable as well.
- Cabinets with a glow. Open shelves are a big trend nowadays, as are glass-front cupboards and cabinets that showcase your favourite cups and plates and pottery. You can choose to add lighting to the inside of your glass-front cupboards, for example, or lighting for your open shelves. What’s more, it can add more dimension to your kitchen and produce a glow at your line of sight, which creates depth.
- Install lights under your base cupboards and cabinets. These lights can easily illuminate your kitchen’s flooring, which adds a bit of ambience to the space and can serve as a great night light as well.
- Whilst you’re installing lights under your base cupboards and cabinets, you can also do the same with your counters or worktops. You can simply create a groove underneath the lip of your worktop or countertop and install the proper lights in the space, so when you open your kitchen drawers, you can see better inside, too.
Image attributed to Pixabay.com
Leave a Reply